Monday, October 22, 2012

Weathering the Storm


I am in a storm!  The Bible gives many examples of people going through storms. Jonah, David, Job are some good examples.  I believe storms have a purpose in our lives.   We can choose what we do with them. We can learn from our trials, we can worry ourselves to death, or we can cry out to God, as Jonah and David and Job did.  They recognized the source of the storm, and they knew who controlled the storm.   I would like to think that I am in their company, but I am afraid I am not.  I do believe that God has allowed this tumor in my life to teach me some things.  I would not slow down long enough for Him to teach me otherwise.  It has taken me a long time to say that this has been a blessing.  I have had more opportunity to read and pray, although I still find myself letting “other things” get in my way. I pray that I will become more diligent and learn my lessons quickly.
I have had a few rough weeks, more emotional than physical.  I had an MRI week before last and everything looked good.  I asked the doctor if he could remove the shunt.  There is greater risk of infection the longer it is in my head.  He would not remove it without doing an MRI of my trunk “in case there might be some cancer cells that had   ”trickled down my spine”.  So I spent 3 ½ hours in the MRI tunnel, and I couldn’t even reed a book.  What a trip!!  I will not get a report until next week. I do not expect anything but a good report!
Gordon is still experiencing excruciating pain.  He takes so much medicine that he can hardly function.  He is facing two more surgeries, rotator cuff and another disc in his neck, probably in the next couple of weeks.  We are still enjoying our two-legged blessings.  They keep us hopping but they are a blessed distraction to our circumstances!  Gordon’s Mom is in a nursing home, South Hampton Nursing Home in Owens Cross Rds.  She of course is VERY unhappy about being there, but we just could not afford to keep her at Regency  Village, and we cannot take care of her ourselves.  I thought she would be happy to be near the place where she grew up.  The place she is staying is the cleanest place I have ever seen.  Every time I go the place looks and smells so clean I can hardly believe it is a nursing home.  The floors are so clean that you could eat off of then.  The staff is very attentive.  They give us monthly reports and we can call anytime to check on her. We go to see her as often as we can.  My Mom just returned from a trip home to North Carolina.  My brother and his wife took her.  We all have such fond memories of going HOME to the farm when we were young, then later to the beach nearby.  I would have been welcome to go with them, but just didn’t think I could make the trip.   I cried nearly all day, the day they left.

Blessings to all who read this.  We covet your prayers!

No comments: