Sunday, December 16, 2012

Kisses from Katie


Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
“Hard places seem unbearable. It is dark and scary, even though I know God said He will never leave or forsake me, sometimes it’s so dark that I just can’t see Him. But the most incredible thing happens: God takes me by the hand and walks me straight out of the hard place and into the beauty on the other side. He whispers to me to be thankful, that even this will be for His glory and good…Always on the other side is something beautiful, because He has used the hard place to increase my sense of urgency and to align my desires with His…The hard places are good because it is there that I gained more wisdom, and though with wisdom comes sorrow, on the other side of sorrow, joy.” I am waiting for the joy!

I have been so disturbed by the Connecticut shootings, as have many others. I feel compelled to blog something I previously wrote in October. I think about the hard place that these families and the students in that school, find themselves in. How in the world can they cope without Christ in their life? I pray that they will be able to say eventually that their sorrow has turned to joy.

I am continuing to get good reports from the doctor. My last MRI was Nov. 26. Dr. Dang says the tumor is stable. I will accept this good report and continue to trust God for my complete healing. I am continuing to care for my grandchildren, with some very competent help, every day. I know of no better activity to fill my day. They are beautiful, of course, and I am not one bit partial!! We have 6 in all now, from 9 mos. to 10 years, and they have been such blessings to us! I am SO thankful for their mothers, my daughters-in-law. They love my boys, in spite of their “warts,” and they have given me these beautiful grandchildren, and been so gracious about sharing them, unlike some who are so reluctant to share their children. I am more sorry for the parents who miss out on the freedom to leave their kids and do something for themselves.

Gordon is still not doing well. He had surgery 5 weeks ago. He has still not recovered. He has horrible pain in his left arm, where they cut through muscle? maybe. He saw the doctor Friday, who said he might have permanent damage. He is also having weakness in one of his legs. He may have to have another surgery before Christmas. This old house is not what it used to be!!
I am not sending Christmas cards this year. Thanks to all of you who have sent them to us. I am not making fruitcakes this year either, the first time in maybe 30 years. Our Christmas tree is 4’ tall and sitting on my end table with one string of lights on it and maybe a dozen ornaments. There is lack of Christmas spirit, but the old grey mare ain’t what she used to be. I remember the year my grandmother didn’t put up a Christmas tree. I could not believe she wouldn’t do it!! She was probably in her late 70’s. I didn’t stop to think that she had probably had been doing it for 60 or more years. Well, I am not that old yet, but my body has been a lot of miles. So consider this our Christmas card to everyone. We hope your Christmas is merry & bright, and that the Joy of our Blessed Jesus will fill your hearts this season.

No comments: