Monday, June 3, 2013

I have the sweetest mother in the world


This is absolute truth! My Mom was raised on a North Carolina tobacco farm during the depression.  Her life there prepared her for the challenges she would face raising a family on Glendale Farm in rural Jackson County,  Alabama.  Her oldest brother was determined that his siblings would go to college.  He came from N.C. to Auburn, AL., to teach Alabama farmers how to grow tobacco.  He brought his sister with him to go to college.  She finished a couple of years of school and in the process met someone she called her “Greek god”.  They dated awhile, then were married. My dad joined the Navy and after the War they moved back to Glendale Farm.  Farm life was hard, demanding, and thankless, not to mention 4 children thrown into the mix.  Growing up during the depression taught my Mom to be a good manager, which served her well living on our farm.   Without describing details, Mom and Dad worked hard  on the farm with my grandparents until I was 12 years old.  Dad had an opportunity to go to work in Huntsville, which ultimately led to a job on Redstone Arsenal.  We bought some property along Hwy. 72, built a house and moved when I was 12 years old, bringing my 3 younger siblings.  This proved  to be a real blessing.

God blessed us during hard times, and during some more prosperous times.  My parents always put God first in everything!  They paid tithe when they didn’t know where the next dollar was coming from.  We never went hungry, never were we without clothes to wear, and always had transportation to get us where we needed to go.  Above all we had friends-- and homemade ice cream!  I never heard my mother complain.  She always reminded us to be thankful for what we had.  She and my dad set the example to entertain strangers, be kind to those who weren’t always kind to us, and to share what we had with those less fortunate.  Sometimes I thought we were the less fortunate (:-)!   We learned early that complaining wouldn’t change anything.

I believe God desires to ordain our circumstances, but He will not do it alone.  We must cooperate.  When we continue to go our own willful way, He allows us to.  Until we are ready to yield ourselves to His direction, we continue going ours!  And we wonder why we find ourselves in such predicaments!
I am SO FORTUNATE to have grown up in my family.  I won the family lottery (see The Last Lecture). Before I read this book, I always told my mom that I was glad I was born into her family instead of some others I know of.  The Last Lecture calls it “winning the family lottery.”  I am so sorry for those who cannot say that about their parents, or family.

I am still getting good reports from the doctor. I had an appointment week before last.  The dr.  says my tumor is still stable.  I will accept that and praise God.  I think God has different ways of healing.  I believe He has used this tumor for several reasons.  First is to bring me closer to Him.  It has reminded me how much I need Him, and that He is the orchestrator of everything in our lives, whether He has our permission or not. I think about how much I love my children and grandchildren; what good I desire for their lives.  Then I think about how much more He wants what is best for us.  He wants to “withhold no good thing from us;” but if we expect to have those “good things”, we need to “line up”! We should also consider that what we think is a “good thing” may not be God’s good thing.  God wants to bless us, but we are the ones who determine whether or not we receive his blessing.

I have not blogged in awhile.  I have had a few health issues that have “wiped me out.”  We have had a lot going on as well.  By the time I had the opportunity to write I was too tired to think!

Gordon is still having problems with his neck and back.  Some days are better than others, but not many.  He is really pitiful, and he continues to try to do more than he should. My Mom is doing well.  She still has some heart and lung issues, but is doing pretty well right now.  She has been on oxygen, especially at night.  She went last week at 92 and had a senior driving evaluation.  They said she could continue driving (a stick shift) as long as she stayed off the interstate.  Yea Grandma Grace!!  Gordon’s Mom is doing pretty well.  She has been to the hospital for a fall recently.  Nothing broken thankfully.  She continues to be more confused about things; everything except her “Stuff’’.  She thinks she is going back to the place she was before.  Cannot understand what the cost of that is vs. the place she is staying.  We are very happy with her quarters.  The people are very kind and attentive (she says so herself), and the place is clean.  Every time I go someone is mopping, cleaning baseboards, doorknobs, handrails, etc.  The place smells really fresh!   She is not happy about having a roommate.   Most of them have been congenial.  If they are not, the staff has made a change as soon as possible.
Please leave me a note if you are still reading this.  I don’t want to assume that people are interested in what I have to say, if they in reality are not.  Blessings to all and praise to our God and Father!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Evening to one of the sweetest ladies that I know. You are such a blessing in so many people's lives. You are one of the strongest persons I have ever known, seeing you walk the long journey you have traveled. I am so ashamed of myself because I find myself complaing about the least things. I am blessed to know such a wonderful person as you Annalie. You have been an example for all of us. Len and I love you and still praying for a recovery for you . I pray that Gordon will soon be better. I hope that you will make another trip to Florida to see some friends who would love to see you again. love you and God bless you dear friend. Jeanette

Julianne said...

Thanks for the update! You're such an encouragement to us :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Annalie! That was so beautifully written, and so inspiring. PLEASE keep writing, and I hope you'll continue to tell the stories of your life growing up. Love you!

Robin Pruitt said...

I am married to Billy Pruitt and I just read your blog to him (he can't sit still long enough to read, you know). He wanted to tell you hello.

Unknown said...

Thank you for keeping us updated. We are still praying for you and Gordon. So thankful for the good reports.

Anonymous said...

It is great to see a new post Annalie. I always find them so encouraging. I am so thankful to hear you're still getting good reports and Gordon is hanging in there! Sam and I send our love to you both! Aletta

SharonD said...

Annalie, as I call you " my encourager " you are such a blessing . I've missed seeing you and Gordon . We are praying for you both. I just love your Mom, she is one of a kind. Love you both Jerry n Sherry

Unknown said...

Please continue writing. I check often to hear from you. You are such an "uplift-er" to my spirits. I pray that Gordon will get some relief and that you continue to do well.
Billie Bush

Unknown said...

So good to hear from you! I check often for news from you. You are an "uplift-er". I pray for relief for Gordon and for continued good reports for you.
Take care,
Billie Bush