Thursday, October 24, 2013

Recipe for Happiness


Ps. 5:11-12 : "But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.  Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For sure, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield."
I don’t remember where I first heard this scripture, maybe a sermon, or a book.   It most assuredly speaks to us about where real happiness comes from.  As much as I would like to believe that my faith and trust is in God alone, I am afraid there are many times that is not true.  I let the cares of daily life and the troubles of our world creep in and steal my peace.  I would like to blame it on the world, but I know that my peace and happiness depends on me.  Will I choose to trust God in this circumstance, or will I try to work things out on my own? When my grandchildren become a little petulant, I am very quick to remind them that THEY can choose to be happy or unhappy, to obey or disobey.  They have the power to choose.  Then I think about the times I have had the power to choose, but didn’t. 
I love the word refuge  in this passage.  That word conjures up a harbor away from the storms of life. There are so many times in our life when we need that, a place of shelter, protection, a place of peace and safety.  No wonder we can “be glad.”     
There is a “conditional” here.  We must “love His name.”   I was raised in a God fearing home.  We learned early that God was our heavenly father, and Jesus was our savior and friend.  We were taught to revere the names of God and Jesus.  Only as an adult have I understood the importance of not just loving Him, but loving His name.  I have prayed for God’s favor on many occasions, but never considered it as a shield.  Thank God that there is something new that we can learn from His Word every day!
Gordon had another surgery on his neck Wednesday.  They shaved some bone or scar tissue off and took out the hardware they put in before to fuse his vertebra together.  The doctor thinks that might have been the source of some of his pain.  Hopefully he will come home tomorrow (Fri.).   He has been pretty miserable. 
Brant’s family is leaving for Columbia on Nov. 2 to receive their new baby (a little girl with sickle cell anemia).  They have had all kinds of delays which seems to be pretty typical of these adoptions.  It has been very frustrating, but they are going along with their plans.  The latest hurdle is they weren’t able to finalize plans for the trip by the deadline for their hotel, so they are having to take quarters in a less comfortable place.  Please keep them in your prayers.  They will be in Colombia until sometime after Christmas.
 Everyone else is doing well it seems. “ Praise God from whom all blessings flow!”

No comments: