Monday, February 3, 2014

Sticks, stones, and words

I have not blogged in awhile. I have been rather busy, but also have not really had the inspiration.  So much has happened since I last blogged.  We have a new granddaughter from Colombia, adopted by Brant and Elesha.  They got home just in time for Christmas.  Elesha did a wonderful job of blogging about their adoption process at www.thebigsthelittles.blogspot.com if you are interested in reading their account.  It is a wonderful testimony of God’s protection and provision and their endeavor to trust in Him.
Gordon is still suffering, & I mean SUFFERING, with back and neck pain.  The surgeries and pain treatment he has had don’t seem to be helping much.  The doctor really wants to do another surgery on his back, but he is reluctant to try again. I know God allows circumstances in our lives that bring us to a place He wants us to be. I am not sure Gordon believes or understands that, but I pray that he will do whatever is required to allow God’s work in his life.  We are not always as interested in the process as we are the outcome.  I believe God is interested in the process.  If God’s own Son suffered as He did, how do we think we will leave this word without some suffering on our part?  I thank God that He loves us enough to allow us to share in Christ’s suffering.
I also Thank God that he gives gifts according to our need.  If you have multiple children, you understand that principal.  Some of us are more “needy” than others.  Thank God that He gives to us according to our need, and not our desserts, or someone else’s!  I have been rather needy myself, lately.  I have fallen into a pattern of fretting about things I can do nothing about.  I have tried to replace this “stinking thinking” with more time in the Word, which has helped.  I have imagined myself securely in the safe lap and arms of a Father who loves me and wants only the best for me.  I must remind myself that I don’t know what is best and I MUST trust Him to provide.  I have a little phrase I tell my grandchildren that I hope teaches them about unconditional love. “I love you when you are good, I love you when you are  not good, and no one will ever, ever take your place.”  I am so glad that I can trust God for that kind of love, and I want to set that kind of example for them.
I am rereading a book by Joyce Landorf called Balcony People.  She also wrote another one called Irregular People.  Balcony People is about people in our lives who affirm us, and how important this is to who we are. I am reminded again that words are important to us.  They can “make us, or break us.”  Our actions can too.  This has been a fresh reminder to me to be kinder, gentler, more in tune to others needs. 

All of us have fragile places in our lives, some more than others. Some of us have been through horrendous circumstances, having been abused by the very people who should have loved us. So how can we understand the unconditional love of God? The wonderful thing is that we don’t have to understand.  All we have to do is receive it.  Who of us, if given a gift, would not reach out and receive it?  It is the same with God’s love.  All we have to do is receive it.  Most who read this have already experienced this, but if you haven’t, I invite you to reach out and receive.  What better way to begin a new year, than to walk hand in Hand with God through Christ?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks. That is a great word. Praying for you.

Unknown said...

Wonderful words! You always find a way to bless and lift up. You are so special in the kingdom, a gift from the Father. Love you very mmuch.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the beautiful words! Your faith and strength are such an inspiration to me as they are others as well!
Thanks for being such a great part of my life!

Lots of love,

Sheila Morring Duckett

Anonymous said...

Love your blog updates. They always bless our family